Thursday, September 03, 2009

Julia Child, Josephine Baker, and a Slice of Paris!

Hello Foodies,


Stepping into the entry of a bistro I'm greeted by the jazzy sounds of Josephine Baker’s music and an aroma of steak frites and boeuf bourguignon. A stylish hostess - scarf delicately draped around her décolleté - leads us to our table by way of the busy bar. I overhear a gentleman give his order for a “seize” and a Bordeaux rouge. In the dining room, Baker’s smooth voice subtly sings, “J’ai deux amours, mon pays et Paris”- I have two loves, my country and Paris.


A trendy Paris bistro? Mais non – just a slice of Paris in North Carolina. The Parisian-like restaurant, Print Works Bistro, in Greensboro, exudes cosmopolitan style with a mélange of modern character and classical food. And a prix fixe menu everyday.


It was especially exciting for us to visit Print Works during the month of August. Chef Bart Ortiz showcased his love of French cuisine with a menu honoring Julia Child, timed perfectly to coincide with the release of the movie, Julie & Julia. Quelle bonne chance for us on this summer night: a trendy bistro, Josephine Baker, and Julia Child all at once!


Signature Dishes

At Print Works, Chef Bart succeeds in serving up perfect French food - neither fussy nor pretentious - just simple and fabulous! He’s passionate about what he creates, like any successful chef must be. He uses fresh, seasonal and local products. “Our guests trust us too much for us to betray them with anything other than quality products and recipes,” the chef explains when he visits our table during the meal. “How is your dinner this evening?” he wants to know.


Appetizers of shrimp crêpes with Mornay Sauce - to die for - and Artichoke with Hollandaise were perfect beginnings. The tender, creamy crêpes made me think of watching “The French Chef” when I was younger. I could almost see Julia making the Mornay sauce on TV. The velvety hollandaise served à cote de the artichoke was luscious, a definite spot-on winner! I can say that because, long after the artichoke leaves lay depleted on my plate, I slathered more sauce on my crusty French bread. Can you do that? Slather hollandaise sauce on bread? If it’s this good – yes, you can.


The entrée of lemon and white wine baked flounder came highly recommended by the staff, but I had to pass this time for Julia’s signature dish - Boeuf Bourguignon. Paired with a bottle of Chateau Larose Trintaudon, Haut-Médoc Bordeaux (2004) and more French music playing in the background, a dining experience in this ambiance might maybe, just maybe for un moment, make you’ll feel you’re in Paris. Well…it’s worth a try!


Finishing Touches

The evening wouldn’t have been complete without the final pièce de résistance: individual chocolate almond cake – moist gateau-y perfection. Talented Chef Bart pares down the recipe from Julia Child’s book, Mastering the Art of French Cooking, to make small, individual cakes smothered with a rich ganache. A heavenly chocolate dessert! It was so good, that I ordered a second one “to go” for my Francophile and foodie friend, Allison. Odds are the chef will continue to offer the chocolate almond cake on his menu for several months. I want to go back soon, sit outside (see photo) with the chocolate desert on my fork and sip un café crème.


Print Works Bistro may not be in France, but the chef transports his diners to Paris with every forkful of fabulous French food. A meal here reaffirms my sisterhood with Julia Child and Josephine Baker; I Have Two Loves, My Country and Paris.


Enjoy!


Kathy

No comments: