Friday, November 06, 2009

Paris, Provence...Parsnips?


Hello Foodies!

Bonjour from Paris and Provence. Kathy and I just finished a whirlwind trip through Paris and Provence polishing the Julia & Julie Tour. Kathy, our resident fashionista, noted that THE color for this season is purple. We saw the color in all forms from A-line skirts to vests and for women and men. Not only was it the star in clothing boutique windows, it was also prominent in home decor. So, pick up something purple today.

Since I'm much more foodie than fashionista, I was on the look-out for the new trend in food in France. It hit me in Marseille ~ it's parsnips. This humble vegetable or légume oublié as the French say, found its way onto our plates from Paris to Provence.

At Lapérouse, Paris, it was roasted and served with Bresse chicken. In Les Baux, at Benvegudo, it was sautéed and served with guinea fowl. In Marseille at Les Arcelnaux, we were served parsnip crisps. We also had it as soup and puréed.

I was so excited to see parsnips everywhere. For a long time, it has been one of my favorites and I always include it on my Thanksgiving table. Here's your chance to try it and be as au courant as the starred chefs in France. To ease you into the mood, try my recipe for Roasted Parsnip, Carrot and Tomato soup this weekend. Then, stay tuned and I'll deliver another parsnip recipe that will be perfect for your festive feast.

Enjoy!
Debra

No comments: